Nothing Short of Chic: Happy Hallowe'en: My Costume, Pumpkin, And Munchies!

1.11.14

Happy Hallowe'en: My Costume, Pumpkin, And Munchies!



Illustration by Annika Cleland-Hura
 
 LOCATION: OKANAGAN, BC
   
 
Hallowe'en is important - it's an excuse to dress up.


Happy Hallowe'en, everyone! I hope you all had just as much fun last night as I did... I want to share my totally awesome 1920's inspired costume that I designed and created. Keep reading for the original croquis design, plus all the angles of the finished costume and makeup, as well as my pumpkin and my favorite All Hallows Eve snacks (besides candy, of course)!

















In this costume, I nodded to many prominent 20's womenswear design elements. If you scroll through these photos, you'll notice I've incorporated long pearl necklaces, round toe kitten heels, sleeveless shift dress silhouettes, drop waists, sheer fabric over a slip skirt, fur (a long, straight, untailored raccoon coat is represented here), clutch purses, bare skin, smokey eyes, red lips and cheeks, and a finger-waved bob. This was one of many designs I did that embodied the Roaring Twenties style, five of which I considered for this costume. I did show the final drawing for this outfit (above).

I decided to step away from the traditional jack-o'-lantern this Hallowe'en and inject some humor into my squash:



Photography by Jericca Cleland

Snacks! Well, anything pumpkin is clearly meant for this time of year, but only the very best of them get to be consumed on this special evening. One of my favorites is roasted pumpkin seeds. I normally don't use a recipe, but explaining my method proved to be much more challenging than I originally anticipated, so I found a recipe by Oh She Glows (one of my favorite food blogs) which you can read here.

I also really love love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes. My favorite cupcake recipe is in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, a vegan cupcake recipe book. I found and customized a pretty good chocolate pumpkin cookie recipe a little while ago, and you can read that post here.
To drink, I love pumpkin spice rooibus and/or mulled apple cider. Mulling apple cider at home is actually really easy: just pour the cider into a pot and heat it with various whole spices like star anise, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Heating the cider with the spices causes it to pick up their flavors very strongly, and the longer you leave the spices in the cider the more mulled it becomes.

Last but not least, lots of chocolate gets consumed in our household on Hallowe'en! Dark chocolate, between 72% and 86% is the very best (the lower the cocoa percentage, the sweeter the chocolate is. However, under 60% is not the same quality).

Tell me about your favorite spooky sweets and eats in the comments, and share your costumes with me through Twitter or Nothing Short Of Chic's Facebook page!

No comments :

Post a Comment