Nothing Short of Chic: Happy Birthday, Nothing Short Of Chic!!

12.5.15

Happy Birthday, Nothing Short Of Chic!!


 
 LOCATION: MY HEART
   
 
You are amazing and you don't even know how much.


You guys, you guys. Thank you so much for your continued support of Nothing Short Of Chic. It means so much to me to know that I'm reaching people and making an impact, even if it's a tiny one. I am so proud and excited to announce that today is Nothing Short Of Chic's birthday!! Today is the one-year anniversary of the day my first post went live on this blog (you can read it here), back when it was primarily purple and bore the name The Fashioniki. Clearly, a LOT has changed since then: everything from my writing sense to my photography, the layout (and name) of my blog, and most importantly, my style. To highlight this change, a result of me figuring out who I really am and who I want to be, I've pulled four of my oldest outfit photos out of the archives and provided a look at how I wear the same pieces now, as opposed to then.


Blue Floral Dress: Then


Blue Floral Dress: Now


Clay Bead Statement Necklace: Then


Clay Bead Statement Necklace: Now


Blue Striped Dress: Then


Blue Striped Dress: Now


Denim-On-Denim: Then


Denim-On-Denim: Now


A lot can happen in a year. Last year, when I started this blog, I thought I had the next few years of my life all figured out. But soon after, we sold our house and moved to a tiny apartment. For the past month and a half, I've been traveling Europe. At the time of my first post, the thought that one year later I'd be writing from Copenhagen and preparing for a trip to Germany was not remotely on my mind. I've changed a lot over this past year (turning your life upside down, especially willingly, tends to do that), and that internal change is reflected externally through my style, my writing, and my photography. My style has morphed from the rather young (but fun), trendy, and fairly simple outfits I wore mainly last spring and summer into a more mature, put-together, refined style. And while I still don't know where in the world (literally) I may be by NSOC's second-year anniversary, I have a pretty good idea of where I will be as a person. I'm trying to be open and honest in this blog, and I think my growth is plain in the blog archive found in my right sidebar. Thank you, my readers, for your support and for helping me feel like I can share with you as I love to do. I especially appreciate your kind comments on my posts, both here and on Instagram and on Facebook, as those words do a world of good when I'm not feeling as happy as I like to be.

The world of fashion blogging is often extremely selective and curated, and when a blogger posts a picture, it may be the best of a hundred similar shots she or he took, and it may take hours to get the perfect pictures to make said blogger appear as if they are living the perfect life. However, with blogging comes candid moments, laughter (and every other emotion) caught by accident or in the moment, and memories forever immortalized. Because bloggers don't live a perfectly polished, every-strand-in-place, jet-setting life the way it often appears when scrolling through our feeds, I'm sharing a bunch of caught-in-the-moment shots that have been collecting virtual dust in my photo library and hard drive. Here is Niki, unfiltered, IRL.


When I was tired of posing normally and struck this part-supermodel, part-superman, all-weird pose


When we took my siblings to the playground and I had just as much fun as them


When my eyes went weird from spinning too much


When we went to Science World and I had way too much fun with the light filters


When I figured out all my outfits for Italy before leaving and my camera roll looked like this


When it took four tries for my friend Amy to take a halfway decent photo of me because my face would not cooperate (it's good that way!)


When I thought this would make a good Spanish Steps photo


When my sister and I were bored in a taxi


When I was bored on the train and stole (I mean borrowed) my dad's glasses


When my sister and I were bored on a Saturday morning


When my baby hair/flyaway situation was at its best


When I shot inside a London phone booth and someone had used it as a urinal (again, the flyaways)


When I tried to teach my dad to toss his hair (I'm saying "toss" in this photo. Side note: he's bald)


When I had just finished my "diva moment"


When the mirrors in the Danish National Museum were reminiscent of Palazzo Vecchio (in Florence)

I'm not perfect. Chiara Ferragni's not perfect, nor Aimee Song, or Blair Eadie, or you, or anybody else. That's what makes us human and beautiful. Thanks for reading my birthday post, and I hope you'll continue to read Nothing Short Of Chic and draw inspiration from it, as that's why it is here! Thank you once again for your continued support - it means the world to me. I cannot believe how fast this past year has flown by (or how long ago May 12, 2014 feels)!

No comments :

Post a Comment