Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Black In The Summertime

16.7.15

Personal Style: Black In The Summertime

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
No, it's not a fashion crime...


Let me tell you guys something. My closet is basically... not even basic. I have three pairs of shoes; sandals, ill-fitting ballet flats, and running shoes (not a pair I wear anytime except when working out). Also, I don't even have what are considered wardrobe "basics" - the white tee, the black dress, the pencil skirt, the button-down, the tailored trousers, etc. But that doesn't mean I'm not suited to blog about my daily outfits - if nothing else, it gives small-closeted readers some hope and some inspiration, and gives those with a more substantial wardrobe inventory fresh eyes with which to look at their pieces. 

However, I do tire of those gladiator sandals, and despite KQ's protests, my ballet flats are too dressy to wear with much. So, improvisation comes into play. That, and borrowing. Luckily enough for me, my mother did not put all her clothing into storage (not to mention, her shoe collection - and entire wardrobe - is much more extensive than my own), and she's happy to let me borrow from her (most of the time). So, these gorgeous embroidered floral boots as well as the intricate, music-making hoops I'm wearing are lends from her.

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic
Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic

Wearing Black In The Summer IS Acceptable... And Chic! #NothingShortOfChic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura Sweater: Secondhand | Top: Thrifted | Skirt: Thrifted | Boots: Thrifted | Jewelry: Thrifted | Sunglasses: Thrifted

Although I hardly ever wear black in the summertime, and I try not to wear it too much the rest of the year as well, there are some tricks to make it look chic without being gloomy. I realize that this outfit is more of a fall look, but my surroundings called for it. By wearing a black piece with a lighter neutral for accessories and the top – these include tan, nude, blush, sheepskin, cactus, straw, grey, white, and more – the black has less dominance in the outfit. This is especially true because typically black is worn on the shoes, so it creates a very fresh look when a different tack is taken. To loosen black's hold even more, I wore a neutral top with black accents, to create a through line, and then I added brown. Brown is, in fact, a neutral, just a rather darker one. But by treating it like a neutral, it blends the black seamlessly into the outfit! Try it – it works!!

No comments :

Post a Comment