Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Shades Of Mellifluous

11.7.15

Personal Style: Shades Of Mellifluous

A Gorgeous (And Adorable) Blue Faux-Leather Rose Wallet To Add A Pop Of Color To An Outfit... #NothingShortOfChic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
Monochrome colorblocking really works.


Happy weekend, all! I hope you have had an awesome week – and if any of you live in BC/Saskatchewan/Washington/similar area, I doubly hope you haven't been affected by the fires! Our home here on the Sunshine Coast got severely smokey after the wind began to blow from Sechelt, where there's currently a terrible fire. The smoke settled like a blanket over everything, so the island across the water was invisible to us. It was very eerie, because the smoke completely blocked out the (cloudless) sky, so though the sun was shining, the sky appeared overcast. Everything took on a yellow tint, and the sun was orange-red and tiny behind the smoke. This lasted until Wednesday – yesterday was finally almost normal. Today, everything is as usual, so to celebrate the amazing weather, I took pictures!

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic
Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

Monochromatic Colorblocked Dress For Parties And Weekends on #NothingShortOfChic

The Accessories Make The Look... #NothingShortOfChic

Always The Sunglasses - A Necessary Outfit Ingredient #NothingShortOfChic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura Dress: Thrifted | Sunglasses: Thrifted | Bracelets: Thrifted | Earrings: Handmade

Here, I'm wearing this cap-sleeved, monochromatic dress with colorblocking of sorts. I love how this piece, while more elevated than a plain black or grey dress due to the value shift, is a blank canvas for any and all accessories. I also really like the shape, because while it's not full-on bodycon, which I don't tend to like, it still has a tailored aspect.

I really played around with the accessories for this one. Originally, I was going to wear a choker, but I found that it was too heavy for the already dark dress, and the neckline is rather high for anything other than a band choker. So, I moved on to bracelets. I think pushing bangles and bracelets up the arm is a fresh, chic way to style them - they look especially great around the bicep. It also needed a pop of color, so I pulled out this tiny blue flower-shaped wallet, through which I'd put a chain so I could wear it crossbody, just like I did above. Of course, no outfit is complete without earrings, so I added these pretty statement ones (that somehow seemed less of a statement alongside the wallet, but they were still striking enough to make the impact I was looking for) that I actually made out of clay and head pins! These sunglasses are just the icing on the proverbial cake - I wear them with everything, but I'm not afraid to lose/break them because they're about as cheap as it gets.

For these pictures, I kind of had to improvise - because I shot these pictures so early on, the sun was low on the horizon (which was what I was looking for), but because we face west, everything was dark and somehow overexposed. But lowering the exposure for these pictures actually created a really cool edge to these pictures, so I like the result!

No comments :

Post a Comment