Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Playing Matchmaker

18.9.15

Personal Style: Playing Matchmaker


DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
Matchy-matchy can be classy - and cheap.


Ah, the matched set. The off-duty suit, consisting of a skirt-and-top or pants-and-top (or some variant of that combination) rendered in the same print or color, with cuts and silhouettes that match or complement each other - giving an outfit uniformity - is just as easy as a dress, but feels even more put-together. As a trend, it's been an on-again, off-again sort of thing - though I know you have been hearing about it for at least two years. I never bought one. I don't tend to buy into trends - I wear what I want to wear, and if it happens to coincide with a trend, then, great (though, as it happens, I tend to accidentally anticipate soon-to-be trends - for example, I just bought myself a pair of slouchy grey pleated trousers a few weeks ago, and what did we see all over the runways at NYFW? Oh, right. Slouchy "pajama suiting.").

But what if I told you that this trend, beloved by the sartorial A-list, including Taylor Swift and Anna Wintour alike (though the latter's tend to be Chanel) could be achieved without spending more than forty-five minutes? (You'd probably spend more time trying to find both a skirt and a top that fit you well.) Yes. You can. I made this set by taking apart one of my favorite dresses, which no longer fit me well, at the waist seam, then attached a waistband to the skirt and hemmed the bodice portion. Tada. You can do the same thing with rompers and jumpsuits as well. Also, if you're wondering what the dress looked like before reconstruction, I have styled it multiple times on NSOC, including here.

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic

DIY On-Trend Classy Matched Set on #NothingShortOfChic
Photography by Aiden Cleland-Hura Skirt Set: Self-Made (Upcycled Thrifted Dress) | Jacket: Thrifted | Boots: Thrifted | Necklaces: Secondhand  

It's a cheap, easy, and fun way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon, and if nothing else, it's giving last breath of life to an old and/or unloved garment. My set here is definitely not something I would buy myself - the dress and fabric are low quality (the piece was given to me to practice altering on, but it actually fit me well so I ended up leaving it alone) so I feel pretty good about keeping it in good use for a little while longer. Pairing it with my wear-with-everything hounds tooth blazer jacket and a pair of (sadly borrowed) embroidered boots made it feel a little fresher and more grown-up than the girly crop-top-and-skater-skirt ensemble would be on its own.

What are your thoughts on the matched set look? Do tell!

No comments :

Post a Comment