Nothing Short of Chic: Reinventing Summer Staples: Vested Interest

16.9.15

Reinventing Summer Staples: Vested Interest


Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
Make the most out of your statement pieces.


I hope you've all been enjoying the week of shows and parties in bustling New York - or, more likely, either watching them all after the fact on the Vogue Runway app or not caring a bit (here's a not-so-secret-secret: I am one of those condescended-upon "wannabe" fashion lovers who watches everything and more – on said Vogue app – hungrily reading every review and fervently refreshing Snapchat for the latest from @theevachen212, @man_repeller, and @chrisellelim). I may be an expert on what NYFW street-style photographers are on the lookout for, but sadly enough, I wasn't available to act upon my own advice this season. But, all complaints and jokes aside, I do have the layering techniques/skills (number 4 in my handy guide) to impress those photographers – and a subtly statement-making outfit incorporating some out-of-the-box styling and layering ideas, so whether you want to make an impression at LFW or at the office, here's my look-of-the-day to inspire you.

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic

Reinventing a Summer-Only Piece For Fall With A Simple Styling Trick on #NothingShortOfChic
Photography by Aiden Cleland-Hura Dress: Thrifted | Top: ThriftedJeans: Thrifted | Shoes: Naturalizer (Thrifted) 

This is a button-up maxi dress that I found at a thrift store, gently used and gentler on the wallet (the maxi shirt-dress is a piece I've had my eye on since Aimee Song wore it – the girl has a way of making you want to shop). I styled it with a pair of brown gladiator sandals and a matching shoulder bag in the hot, hot days of August, but now that the weather is cooler and layering is possible again, I left this statement-making dress open and wore it as a duster vest. The thing about pieces like this dress is that they are very noticeable and easy to remember, so your friends are more likely to notice if you wear your printed maxi dress for three brunches in a row, as opposed to a simple white shift; finding new and unexpected ways to wear these pieces allow you to wear them more often.

I forgot to mention above, but I, being in self-imposed fashion immersion (it's a passion thing), follow pretty much every editor, blogger, designer, and street-style photographer on Instagram. Three out of four of these types of social-media users post street-style and/or their own elaborate Fashion Week style constantly right about now, so my feed is filled with The Sartorialist's and We The People's picks of the sidewalk. Therefore, I felt inspired (obliged?) to dress up my "basic" (excluding the vest) ensemble – so I threw this sheer, open-knit, long-sleeved black top into the mix (I've been wearing it quite a bit recently). The knit pattern, in contrast with my (very) pale skin, is like a pattern in itself – and I love to mix subtle patterns, so this was a detail I quite liked. I think my low-heeled, just-the-right-amount-of-shiny black oxfords add the perfect amount of preppy elegance to make this look wholly "me."

I just realized that this qualifies as a Reinventing Summer Staples (ReSummerChic) post! Let me quickly change the title while you catch up on my 2014 ReSummerChic looks (here, here, and here) - then tag your outfits with #ReSummerChic and @nothingshortofchic (if you do all of the above, I'll feature you).

Enjoy London, you lucky ducks, and if your suitcase seems to hold no more possibilities, let's talk.

PS – I am sorry for posting so late in the evening, you have probably noticed (and no doubt appreciated) that I usually post at my preferred 5:30 pm. I humbly apologize for interfering with your dinner time/Netflix preparation hour. Thanks for reading despite your wholly justified anger.

No comments :

Post a Comment