Nothing Short of Chic: Why I Love My Hair

6.9.15

Why I Love My Hair

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
And you should love yours too.


As far as media-defined beauty goes, I think I got the short straw, with voluminous, frizzy, curly hair, bold and unruly brows (complete with the requisite Frida Kahlo-esque middle hairs), chubby cheeks, incredibly un-perfect teeth (which I have since fixed with years of dental cosmetic appliances, including a palate spreader, twin blocks, braces, and retainers), and terrible skin (my entire body breaks out) as my genetic makeup, which seems rather unfair given that both my parents are on the attractive end of the spectrum. When I was younger, I would long for my friend's stick-straight, glossy, waist-length hair or my cousin's no-need-to-tweeze arches that perfectly framed her face. People talk about the media's influence on young people, specifically tween-to-twenties girls (though it affects everyone), and despite never had body issues like anorexia, I have found myself thinking, "Well, if only I looked like her," while flipping through something as harmless as a street-style book or a comic strip.

My hair, specifically, has always been my biggest asset and my biggest hangup about myself. My straight-haired friends, many of them tall and Asian with flawless skin and long, shiny hair, would tell me, "I wish I had your hair" and my response would be to snicker and mm-hmm them (I'm sure you can relate). As I got older, my hair got longer, thicker, and less manageable. On a good day, I loved it and felt incredible. But more and more, my hair would either go into a braid or a topknot, neither of which suit me particularly well. I tried to figure out a routine to moisturize my curls but they always re-frizzed instantly (I've since given up shampoo and, after the initial month-long icky period, it's helped tremendously). However, there is no denying that my hair is my signature, and people remember me for it.

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

And it is for this reason that I've come to love my hair, and the rest of my appearance – it is me. There is nobody else that looks like me (which can be cause for lament or celebration, depending on your perspective) so I am unique, and that makes me happy. If I had her cheekbones or her hair, I would not be me. Over the past year, spent traveling and studying and exploring myself, I've come to learn who I am and who I want to be, and I've learned to excel at being me (isn't that a great thing to excel at? I think, if you can't master you, you sure as anything can't master anything else. If it takes ten thousand hours to become a master, and you've spent your whole life with you, and you still don't feel like you know you, it's time for you to do some serious self-exploration). I love me, as much as I can without being self-centered or egotistical.

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

For curly-haired (or dark-skinned, or bold-browed, or long-nosed, or curvy, or anything that doesn't fit the "typical" beauty mold) people, luckily, it's 2015 and although there are still molds and stereotypes and prejudice and all sorts of awful things, there are also role models. People who embrace their quirks and features and selves and cause other people to love them too. Cara Delevingne, she of the remarkable eyebrows, was turned down from many modeling gigs because she would not let them change her arches. Beyoncé, the Queen B (who possesses incredible beauty and even better hair), is an inspiration and idol to millions, despite/because of racial barriers she had to break down. Christina Caradona of Trop Rouge has great style and a plethora of followers, and a haircut that I've Pinned again and again. Lily Collins, Joan Smalls, Jamie Chung, Selena Gomez: the list of incredible people whose beauty is not the traditional American picture is huge and incredibly inspiring. If you can't come to love your looks (and locks) on your own, the cup of people to look to for aid in self-love and out-of-the-box gorgeousness runneth over.

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

My point is, being different is good. It's great. It's what we, as humans, should be doing. The world is already full of blonde, six-foot-tall beauties with airbrushed skin and overplucked brows – we don't need more. You can't be you  if you don't know who you are, and you cannot know who you are if you're always molding yourself after another person (who, truth be told, probably does not know who she is herself). I love the way I look, not because I think I'm "pretty," but because I know that there is nobody else that looks the way I do. I love that. And I admire and respect the people who can rise above stereotypes and eschew external gratification in favor of internal validation.

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

So, yes, this post is obviously about more than just hair, or eyebrows, or noses, or whatever. It's about being unique, and embracing that difference. You must know yourself, and love yourself, before you can truly love and know anyone else (also, when you make that break through, when you wake up and realize that you're not anyone else and that's a good thing, it feels so good. Like, I-can-take-over-the-world good).

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

(Also, try layering your bracelets over your shirt for a statement-making look – it's great for Fashion Week.)

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic

Why I Love My Curls on #NothingShortOfChic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura; Assisted by Aiden Cleland-Hura

I truly apologize for the lack of editing – please let me know if it is difficult to read. If you decide to leave a comment, please remember that these are my feelings in words that you're reading. If you suffer from a lack of self-love, feel free to start a discussion in the comments section, and if you know somebody who could use this article, send it to them. It's the Internet. It's for sharing.

One last thing – if you can love yourself, then you will always be loved, even if you're all alone. Just a thought.

2 comments :

  1. I love this post! It perfectly describes how I (and probably a lot of other girls) feel. Flaws are unique and beautiful and I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete