Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Falling In Love (With Autumn)

5.11.15

Personal Style: Falling In Love (With Autumn)


Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: VIBORG, DENMARK
   
 
The most beautiful season of all - Fall.

Fall is the most beautiful, rich, and complex of the seasons - and perhaps that with the most change, aside from spring. I feel so lucky to be able to experience this season here in Viborg - my home-away-from-home, as we now jokingly call it - where I stayed last spring and summer. I'll actually get to see winter too, though by the locals' point of view, it's maybe not the best time of year to be here (but I'm really excited for holiday season here).

In Viborg, you can get basically anywhere by foot or by bike, and there are buses that run around the town too. Cars are pretty limited, and in the square downtown, not even bicycles are allowed. I went for a walk the other day, one that had started out dreary and ended up stunning, and decided, on impulse, to explore a little pathway that was tucked between two typically Danish brick buildings. To my surprise - and thrill - I found this beautiful golden corner with incredible shadows and light chasing each other around the benches that sat beneath the colorful trees. Thinking it was just the place for an impromptu photoshoot, I parked my bike beside the benches. Later on, I ducked onto side streets to find cute little steps and doors that were also excellent backdrops to my fall outfit.

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Beautiful, typically Danish shot of a Viborg residential scene | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic

Sweet, stylish autumn outfit inspiration for women who want to up their fall style game | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Aiden Cleland-Hura | Jacket: Secondhand | Sweater: Thrifted | Trousers: Le Château (Thrifted) | Shoes: Naturalizer (Thrifted) | Scarf: Secondhand

If you know my style at all, you know that I can't stand monochromatic black or grey outfits. There has to be a pop of color. Feeling supremely lazy but not having much choice (the struggles of living with only a suitcaseful of clothing!), I simply added my favorite red silk scarf to my otherwise boring outfit of a cabled grey turtleneck sweater, black slacks, and a black leather blazer. Still not my favorite, but if you're looking to spice up all-black, I recommend a scarf, a bag, a hat, or shoes - an easy way to turn predictable on its head. I'd still rather be wearing a pumpkin sweater or something, though.

Enough about my outfit, though - there's something I want to share. Being born in late August, I always thought of myself as a summer baby, and by most people's standards, I certainly am. But in my opinion, fall starts in the middle of August - it's warmer at the end, but that's called thermal lag. Signs of fall like turning leaves and shorter days are clearly evident earlier than the equinox - in fact, I'd argue that the equinox falls in the middle of the season (as do the solstices). This does, however, make me a child of autumn, which took me a long time to embrace fully: I've also always thought of summer as my favorite season. No longer, though - the depth of the beauty and inspiration and all-around emotion that comes with fall makes me just love it. The romance, the complexity, the colors, the memories, the festivities - what's not to just adore?

On that note, I wish you all an incredible week end (and weekend). Share your thoughts on the season below if you wish, and make sure to sign up for my mailing list if you like reading about stories like this - these sorts of feelings and opinions and anecdotes of mine are often what you'll find in my weekly newsletters.

Much love.

2 comments :

  1. Autumn is the very best season, in my opinion. It's always been my favorite. I feel energised and hopeful during this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete