Nothing Short of Chic: Successfully Styled: The Dress-Over-Shirt Trend

11.11.15

Successfully Styled: The Dress-Over-Shirt Trend


The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: VIBORG, DENMARK
   
 
It's trendy, and impossible to actually wear... until now.

You've seen it in many iterations while scrolling through Style du Monde or The Urban Spotter - a black silk slip dress over a crisp white button down (a bit like the oh-so-ugly cami-over-shirt trend); a short printed shift over a bright mockneck tee; a sleeveless leather dress over a t-shirt. You've wondered how people come up with these ridiculous layered looks - including formulae like an above-the-knee skirt over a knee-length shirtdress (how could anybody think that looks good?). And then you've wondered if you could pull it off. Slowly shaking your head, you shut out all thoughts related to this microtrend. But I'm here to tell you that it isn't entirely impossible to wear!

I'll be the first to admit that this look is not really my style - though I don't exactly feel uncomfortable in it, either, because I like the way it looks. But as I saw this trend get more "creative" (ie uglier) I decided I'd show you that it can be chic - and if you choose to give it a test-drive (which I encourage!) I implore you to do so tastefully. See below for inspiration.

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic

The dress-over-shirt microtrend has finally been made wearable - and chic | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Jericca Cleland | Dress: Thrifted | Top: Secondhand | Scarf: Secondhand | Boots: Thrifted | Coat: Thrifted | Necklaces: Secondhand

By layering a sleeveless V-neck dress over a long-sleeved mockneck tissue/stretch top in a similar color, you eliminate a lot of common "problems" that might arise when trying to style this look (I use the term problems loosely because, of course, we all have different tastes - I'm simply making the assumption that you and I have similar tastes given that you're reading my blog in the first place). For example, bulkiness (such as a silk dress with a crisper linen shirt, which might create unwanted lumps and shapes), unflattering silhouettes (such as awkward shoulders or waistlines), or clashing styles (when done right, it's cool to mix-and-match, but some things are not meant to go together). This is because the colors will match each other, and if you choose a flattering dress, the thin or tight fabric won't alter it at all. Choosing a really simple base is helpful - a neutral or desaturated top color will help the dress stand out; black, white, grey, dark green, navy, and burgundy are all good options. If you choose an ensemble that's a little more feminine, like mine, you can either enhance that by layering delicate necklaces (it will work really well with your V-shaped neckline) or complement it with a pair of chunky boots (or do both!).

I apologize for the terrible quality of the photos - being so far north, there is absolutely no light here (and these were taken on an iPhone camera, to top it all off). Hopefully you can get the gist of the outfit, at least.

Let me know if this is something you've tried, or will try now – or a trend you wouldn't touch with Joan Smalls' enormous psychedelic wings – in the comments below! Go forth and be chic.

1 comment :

  1. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog
    that's both educative and amusing, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something which not enough men and women are speaking intelligently
    about. I am very happy that I found this during my
    hunt for something relating to this.

    ReplyDelete