Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: White Out

16.3.16

Personal Style: White Out


An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic      An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic 
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
All-white is all you need to spring into the new season.

It's mid-March! How can it be March already?! Just a couple weeks ago, it was January first... right? Ugh, my life is just passing me by. But I wouldn't have it any other way, to be honest – it means that I'm doing fulfilling things. I'd much rather have too little time than be bored. What have I been up to? Let me fill you in...

First of all, I was the costume designer for a local production of Into The Woods (the musical). I'll be putting up my sketches, color schemes, and notes pretty soon, but I can't put up photos of the costumes because it would infringe the actors' privacy. Anyway, it was a whirlwind 6-week period – usually, a costume designer would work for months, but I had less than two to complete nearly thirty costumes! I also am developing an exciting new YouTube series (I hope to release the first episode in three weeks or less!). I'm teaching violin to an all-ages beginner class and preparing for my orchestra's biggest concert of the year (I sit front stand in the first-violin section), which I'll be missing because of a previously-planned trip to Viborg, Denmark. March is also the month of birthdays in my family – my mother's and my sister's big days are a week apart – so I've been crazily making cakes and planning surprises (let me know if ever you want to see pictures of the cakes). Needless to say, my life is excitingly full.

But, I have to say, I'm incredibly sorry for not posting for so long. It honestly has nothing to do with being busy (though I have). I've just been lazy (I have about three photoshoots I've been meaning to post for a while, and a new video will be released at noon on Friday).

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic

An all-white ensemble is a crisp, fresh start to the new season | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by DJ Cleland-Hura | Top: Polo Ralph Lauren (Secondhand) | Skirt: Thrifted | Shoes: Roberto Capucci (Thrifted) | Earrings: Thrifted

Wondering where the inspiration for this shoot came from? Who What Wear has hosted their 30-day winter style challenge, which I have so much fun taking part in, for several years now, and has finally done a spring edition. Day 2's challenge is to wear an all-neutral outfit (the shoes are black, I know, but black is a neutral – educate yourselves! – and I don't have any white shoes anyway). All-white is such a clean and fresh start to the spring dressing season!

I've actually never worn this leather skirt (which I found, brand-new, for $6 at the thrift store) before because I'm scared to stain or rip it. I love it so much. The super-cool zipper detail and the soft leather texture are perfect to dress up my standard white polo tee and pearls, while still being in keeping with my dressy, classic style (though it's becoming more and more eclectic by the day). To reflect the pearly whites of my ensemble, I added my current favorite nail polish, the sheer white Waltz by Essie (which requires three coats and a really long drying time, but the final product is so worth it. I also swept white shimmer eyeshadow along my lashlines and inner corners of my eyes – this powder is my miracle product because it looks really natural and is extremely versatile. And it's from the drugstore.

Total cost of my outfit today? $10. Basically the whole look is thrifted, as per usual – $6 skirt, $3 shoes, $1 earrings, and a top someone gave me, plus necklaces I made from a pearl belt someone else donated to the worthy cause of my closet. Oh, and the nail polish was $4. You may now call me the thrift master.

No comments :

Post a Comment