Nothing Short of Chic: The Beautiful Ones You Always Seem To Lose O(+>

4.5.16

The Beautiful Ones You Always Seem To Lose O(+>

Although his time was cut short, I am so grateful that Prince was able to bestow himself upon us. | Nothing Short Of Chic


Sad as I am for the sudden ending of his reign, I will be forever grateful for Prince.



Prince and his music have always been in my life, for as long as I can remember, and before that. My father has been a huge fan (“friend”) since college, and my mother has listened to his songs for even longer, since the age of 13 or so. As a child, I sang along to “Raspberry Beret” and “Little Red Corvette” – which I actually wanted to sing for my talent show in grade 3, but my father, thankfully, convinced me not to – don’t worry, I legitimately thought the lyrics were written about a car and a hat. I even saw him in concert once, an experience I’d expected would be available to repeat in the future when I had more money (after all, he was only in his early 50s when I saw him). Though I was absolutely thrilled at the time, I am now beyond grateful that I got that chance – the chance to see a musical genius and fireball of raw energy and passion perform his creations live.
 
I started being a fan in my own right around 11 or 12. My father and I would play “Name That Tune” or quiz each other on lyrics (we still do, as a matter of fact). I could quote lines from Purple Rain and Under The Cherry Moon before watching them. I’ve seen every YouTube-accessible interview, and I enjoy watching tribute bands such as Purple Reign and PrinceSS. When I discovered that the Beautiful One “owns” the color purple – my all-time favourite color, specifically the Prince-beloved eggplant shade – that sealed the deal: The Artist became my favorite artist. It was meant to be.

Then, when I discovered the world of fashion, and fell in love with it, this man – who already represented the ideal for me as a musician and a dancer – began to inspire me in another, well, fashion. His enviable shoe collection, his bedazzled canes, his monochrome satin suits, and his glitter hair secured his position as best-dressed man ever in my mind; but he also made me realize how much fashion (and makeup) is an expression of who we are. This is something that is still really important to me today.

When I learned of the Purple One’s passing, I was in disbelief, then shock, then anger. 57 is much too young to die, and the fact that he looked half his age makes his death all the more unfathomable. I listened to his music on repeat for a full week, breaking down when “The Beautiful Ones” – my favorite – came on while driving home. He touched so many people, and I am so thankful to be one of them.

See you in the Afterworld, sir. Thank you. 

No comments :

Post a Comment