Nothing Short of Chic: The Black Ruffled Skirt: Day to Night ft Astrid F.

5.5.16

The Black Ruffled Skirt: Day to Night ft Astrid F.


Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of ChicEver wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SEATTLE, WA
   
 
Transition from day to night with a chic, unique skirt.

The idea for this post + video came when Astrid F., the hilarious, unpredictable, Beatles-loving, horse-back-riding actress who also happens to be my best friend and cousin, told me about this skirt she had sitting in the back of her closet, unworn and shunned. "It was for a Hallowe'en costume," she told me, referencing the pirate outfit she sported last year. "I've never worn it since." So I decided to help her out a little and style it two ways – day and night – for her (even though she didn't ask for, and probably didn't want, my advice). Believe it or not, this is an item several of my friends own (and never wear), so hopefully this helps several people. Make sure you head over to NSOC's YouTube channel to view the accompanying video, which includes an interview with Astrid and some lovely background shots of Seattle.


DAY: Astrid


First of all is the daytime look, riffing on Astrid's style, which I'm calling "equestrian-chic" – you can learn more about that in the video. She originally wanted to wear a white V-neck tee, which actually works a lot better with this outfit, but we couldn't find one in her closet that works and I'm much to cheap to actually buy something for a blog post. But you get the idea, I hope. Anyway, the point is, miss jeans-and-sweatshirt actually felt somewhat comfortable in a skirt, which made me, in turn, feel quite accomplished. Also, it looked really (really) cute. I got very excited over the fact that she actually has knee-caps (just kidding! I'm sorry, Astrid).

Okay, so it's not exactly office-appropriate. I understand this. But this whole outfit is revolving around the skirt, and nobody is buying a ruffled lace skirt with the intention of wearing it to work. So, this is a great weekend outfit, or as Astrid mentions in the video, for going shopping or out with friends for the afternoon.

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura

NIGHT: Annika


My style is much more feminine and dressy, so I wanted to play up the texture of the lace skirt in my outfit. To do this, I paired it with patent leather, a chunky knit, and a beaded top, as well as beaded hoop earrings. I'm quite pleased with the result, as it's something I really would wear, and transitions nicely from the day outfit – you just switch out the top, shoes, and jewelry, none of which would take up much room in a tote bag. I deliberately opted for low-heeled shoes to prove that platforms are not always better – and the shoes I'm wearing would easily slip into a bag. This outfit formula is of the add-lip gloss-and-go variety!

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Ever wonder how to take an outfit from day to night? Here's how, featuring a ruffled lace skirt. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Astrid F.

I sincerely hope you like these outfits – please let us know which outfit you prefer and whether you'd wear either one yourself. Is your style more sporty or classy?

Huge thanks to Astrid – also known as Jasmin in blog posts past – for agreeing to let me doll her up and feature her here. She also took the photos for my outfit, so major appreciation for that. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do something like this with you again soon! (Astrid, by the way, is running the half-marathon with me! She is the coolest.)

Also, if any of you have "unstyle-able" pieces in your closet, you can most certainly email me at nothingshortofchic@gmail.com for style advice – and if I have something similar in my own wardrobe, it may even turn into a post like this!

                     Love Astrid

No comments :

Post a Comment