Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Modern Flapper, Roaring 20(10)s

21.7.16

Personal Style: Modern Flapper, Roaring 20(10)s


Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
The youthful elegance and coy mystery of the Jazz Age is still relevant today – albeit in a slightly 
jazzed-up fashion.

The Flapper lifestyle of the late 1920s is one of the most well-known eras in history, especially in fashion. Although the movement only spanned a few years (because of the Great Depression, it had a rather sudden end), the fringe-embellished dancing dresses, drop-waist shifts, ankle strap heels, and finger-waved bobs adorned with headbands are iconic and referenced often. Personally, the style of that time period means a lot to me and I find myself going back to Art Deco details and flapper elements quite often. This dress, which I found at a thrift store in Vancouver for only about $7, spoke to me instantly and it makes me so happy to wear it. In fact, when I modelled it for my mother, she told me, "It's so you!" – a comment with which I wholeheartedly agree.

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

I couldn't decide whether I preferred the black or red gloves – both vintage, gifted to me by a friend, among others such as canary-yellow evening gloves and dainty, embroidered wrist gloves – so I simply wore them both! Gloves add such elegance and sophistication to any outfit, and I must admit that these black gloves are one of my most-worn accessories (alongside my strands of faux pearls, which I strung myself, which I'm also wearing here).

Ankle-strap pumps were a style staple in that era, so I think these sandals are a great partner for this dress. These were thrifted as well (for $3!!) and despite the nearly 5" heel, the platform and slightly thicker heel mean they're not too uncomfortable.

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Reference the Jazz Age with a chic flapper-inspired shift dress, ankle-strap pumps, and a healthy dose of attitude! | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura Dress: Thrifted | Shoes: Marc Fisher (Thrifted) | Gloves: Vintage | Earrings & Necklaces: Thrifted/Self-Made

I do admit that I took far too many pictures, but I love them all and couldn't decide! Please forgive me. This dress, with its red-black-white print, is so adorable and is quite modern, but the drop waist, tiered ruffled skirt, straight neckline, and untailored bodice harkens back to the Roaring 20s. I love how youthful and innocent the dress is, but how it hints at more by accentuating only the breasts and hips, and not the waist. I didn't want to go full-vintage, so I wore some various sizes of pearls to mix things up and although my sandals match the inspiration, they're fully up-to-date with out current time. I also kept my hair in its natural curls instead of finger-waving, and I skipped the feathered flapper headband.

I would love to know what you think of this outfit, but my more pressing question is, which glove color do you prefer?

No, wait – my fashion conversation-loving brain is telling me to ask which era in fashion history do you find yourself referencing the most?

2 comments :

  1. I love the dress and its multilayered skirt. I think the red gloves are more apropos of the style. These photos are terrific, and I'm wondering who the photographer is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much! I'm really glad you like it – as I said, it's one of my favorite dresses! I love the red gloves as well; I was thrilled when I found out the reds matched. I actually took these photos myself, with a tripod and timer, and the accessories photos just by hand. Most of my photos are taken this way, but if they're taken by someone else I always put the credit in the left-hand corner of the final photograph. Thanks again!! xoxo

      Delete