Nothing Short of Chic: A Seasonal Change: Crazy Sunglasses & A Bit Of A Haircut

4.9.16

A Seasonal Change: Crazy Sunglasses & A Bit Of A Haircut


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
A shift in seasons calls for a bit of a change, courtesy of a little trim...

There is, in the world, a girl or boy, 12 or 13 – just entering the phase of image and self-confidence issues – who has been diagnosed with cancer and has just lost their hair. I shaved off nearly ten inches of my own hair, which will go to Pantene to make a wig for this child. My hair will grow back. Theirs may not. But at least they'll have the wig.

*THIS COAT IS FAUX FUR. I am a vegan and DO NOT support cruelty of animals, especially not for the sake of fashion*

I don't mean to come across as a saint here – I didn't shave my head solely for wig-making purposes. I needed a change of pace, and buzzing my hair has been something I've pondered doing for over half a year. Last time this year I also changed things up by cutting my hair, which has for my whole life been very long, into a curly bob, but this year, so much about me has changed that I needed to do something different. That being said, I'm sure I'll go back to the bob and hold on to it for awhile because it's classic and I still think it suits me better than any other style I've tried.

Here's the thing, though. I'm not a stereotypically "edgy" person. I don't really gravitate towards ripped jeans or motorcycle boots or band tees, and even when I did have those types of pieces in my wardrobe they were always paired with sleeker, more sophisticated garments. So it will be a fun challenge to pair it with outfits and accessories that convey my love for feminine, vintage-tinged, classy aesthetics and don't come off as unapproachable. I've given it a go with a huge (faux-) fur coat, delicate earrings, bold pink lipstick, and a large array of crazy sunglasses – most of which I never felt I could pull off before (case in point: the cool orange ones, which are my new favorites).

The Cool-Girl No-Frame Orange Glasses


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic

The Silver-Accented Construction-Chic Yellow Shades


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic

The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic


The Stylish D&G Sunglasses (That Are Secretly Thrifted)


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic

The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic


The Dainty Vintage Cat-Eye Ladies' Sunnies


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic


The Rectangular Mod, Space-Age Glasses


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic

The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic


The Rounded Rectangular Mod, Space-Age Glasses


The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic

The turnover of seasons and a personal shift meant I needed to change something up – so I decided to shave my hair off. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura Glasses: Misc. Secondhand & Thrifted | Coat: Thrifted | Earrings: Storrs | Nail Polish: Joe Fresh ("Bordeaux")

There is a video of the cut (which happened at home courtesy of DJ Cleland-Hura, artist and amateur hairdresser extraordinaire) up on NSOC's YouTube channel, too. You can watch it here.

Question time, now. We'll start out simple: which pair of shades do you like best? Which style do you want to try? Also, what do you think of the buzzed look? Would you try it yourself?

I'll be posting more outfit posts soon to prove that classy girls can buzz everything and still look chic.

Thank goodness I don't have a really ugly head.

2 comments :

  1. Well, the hair is totally fierce. Very sophisticated NYC. So there is already a precedent for the upscale, femimine, style for which you are aiming. You totally ramped up your game with this one!

    I am already acquainted with the "hair for cancer kids" organisations and it's a great and easy way (for those of us with a plethora of hair) to help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like the effect – and now there are a bunch of cool hats and glasses and other accessories that have been laying dormant that I now feel comfortable enough to wear!

      And I really hope I can help someone be happier with the help of my donation!

      Delete