Nothing Short of Chic: Some Thoughts On Importance And Mattering

17.11.16

Some Thoughts On Importance And Mattering

Some thoughts, questions, and answers following an emotional, eye-opening week. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Original digital collage by Annika Cleland-Hura

The last week has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me, for a myriad of reasons. I've gotten frustrated at people I've never met on social media for posting pictures of their lunch or their shoes when there are much more important issues in the world, and I've wanted to indulge in entertainment and imagery as a way of escape – both of these simultaneously (I love that word). Mostly, though, I've been taking a break from social media because it does not feel worth it. It's not real. I post a photograph of my outfit on Instagram – but to what end? There are people literally starving in this world and I think that my ensemble du jour is worth something?


Which led me to seriously question my industry and, more specifically, my path as a blogger. Does the world need *another* "fashion blogger?" Am I contributing worth and value to this planet? And to whom? These thoughts kind of sent my head spinning (and, honestly, it hasn't yet stopped. Please help, it's rather dizzying). Why do I blog?

Well, I blog because it's fun. I blog to give people both outfit inspiration and things to think about. I love to write and to style and to pose and to photograph. But with everything happening in the world right now, the wars and the politics and the hunger and despair and disease and everything else, it doesn't feel like enough. I want to make a difference in this world for the better.

But then, I had a very minor epiphany (is there a word for "very minor epiphany?" I suppose "paradigm shift" is a more accurate term). If I can affect and inspire just one person, or open just one more person's eyes on an important issue, or make someone's day brighter, then I've accomplished my goal. I had a girl reach out to me after I posted a picture on Instagram of my completely bald head, telling me she'd had to take medication that caused her hair to fall out and that I'd inspired her to own the look and be confident in herself. That completely elated me, and every time I think about it, I can't help but smile. I've taken to being as kind as possible to absolute strangers: things like telling my bus seatmate how much I adore her hair, or holding the door for everyone, or letting people know when they've dropped something, or leaving nice comments on people's posts. And these things do make a difference. There's an episode of Doctor Who, set in Pompeii at the time when Mount Vesuvius explodes. At the end, as the volcano is erupting and the buildings are crumbling, Donna says to the Doctor: "Just someone. Please. Not the whole town. Just save someone." Every time I can do that for somebody, it makes what I do worth it.

I don't have very many readers or followers, but if I can affect any of you – or just one of you – in a positive way, then it does not matter. Not one bit. 

I wish all of you a lovely day and week and weekend! Much love –

5 comments :

  1. I love to read your posts. I find them inspiring. I also love that you use thrifted cloths and show us that it is possible to be well dressed from the thrift shops.

    For the future it will be nice if you take 10 pic. of cloths and combine it in 20-30 different ways showing that we don't need a lot of cloths to be chic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment! I'm glad you enjoy my posts! I'll bear your suggestion in mind for the future! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandy. It means an awful lot to hear that!

      Delete