Nothing Short of Chic: 'Tis The Season 2016: Formal - The Black-Tie Affair (4/4)

28.12.16

'Tis The Season 2016: Formal - The Black-Tie Affair (4/4)


Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   

The most elegant (and glamorous) of all is the black- or white-tie affair, which almost always requires a gown. 

This is the final instalment of this holiday series! I meant to do a full-on, hour-long shoot for this outfit (which is what I wore to celebrate Christmas Eve with my family) with full makeup and everything. Of course, I got consumed by last-minute holiday preparations, gingerbread-making, and lots and lots of cooking (such things happen). Anyway, long story short, it was overcast all day long, and then right at sundown, the clouds broke just at the horizon and we had about ten minutes of golden hour. So I frantically got dressed, not even having time for a comb (let alone any makeup). My dad was kind enough to race after me down to this deck to take some photographs, quickly, as the sun sank. And here they are.

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Around the holidays, a black-tie affair is the perfect time to go all-out with jewels, luxe fabrics, and a sumptuous gown. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by DJ Cleland-Hura | Gown: Jessica (Thrifted) | Heels: Guess (Thrifted) | Wrap: Thrifted | Necklace: Mirina Collections

Although I didn't have time to put on the earrings for photos, when I wore this on Saturday I was wearing jewelry from three different parts of my family: my great-grandmother's antique earrings, my grandmother's signet ring, and a beautiful ring that was my mother's. I really adore glamour and glitz, so any chance to dress up is something I'll take and run with – hence the statement costume jewels and faux fur. This is also why I love black- (or white-) tie events: a chance to go all-out (not that I get invited to very many).

The beautiful color of this gown is really a layered effect: bright red with a black organza overtop to create a dimensional burgundy. The gown has the perfect cut for my body type: gathered around the bust for a full look; a knee-high slit (not too showy) for interest and ease of movement; ruched on one side with an angled drop-waist to nip the waist and accentuate the hips; and a slight dip in the neckline to showcase fabulous necklaces like the one I'm wearing. Sleek black patent peep-toes are the perfect finishing touch for this gown because they're elegant and understated, but still feminine and a little retro.

This dress, actually, has quite a lot of memories attached to it now. I bought it last year from a thrift store for Christmas (it was around $15 or so). Then, not long after, my mother wore it on the red carpet at the Anni awards – my first time doing red-carpet styling. And who knows how many adventures the gown had before I bought it! 

2 comments :