Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Jeans & Red Accents

26.1.17

Personal Style: Jeans & Red Accents


How to wear jeans, with polish and elegance and a few pops of color. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SECHELT, BC
    
Yes, I wore jeans – and here's my secret to incorporating them into an elevated, sophisticated outfit. 

I don't wear jeans. Wait – hear me out. I have nothing against jeans, per se, I just find them uncomfortable, and often too casual for my style, although when I'm styling others I will very often implement them as part of a look. (Side note: the one exception to my no-jeans wardrobe is a pair of high-waist, dark-wash, flared-leg pants that give a kind of sailor-chic look, and a stiff pair for working outside – chopping wood, raking, moving rocks, etc.)

So why did I wear them on this particular day? A week or so ago, a friend of mine asked if I ever wear jeans, after I showed up dressed in a printed skirt, blazer, and heeled boots. And I took that as a challenge. So the next time I knew I'd be seeing him, I borrowed a pair of my mother's jeans and styled them to fit my style. So, here's the look, in a few high-contrast iPhone photos (credits to my little brother for these).

How to wear jeans, with polish and elegance and a few pops of color. | Nothing Short Of Chic

How to wear jeans, with polish and elegance and a few pops of color. | Nothing Short Of Chic

How to wear jeans, with polish and elegance and a few pops of color. | Nothing Short Of Chic

How to wear jeans, with polish and elegance and a few pops of color. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Aiden Cleland-Hura | Coat: Thrifted | Shirt: Thrifted | Jeans: Thrifted (& Borrowed!) | Shoes: Naturalizer (Thrifted) | Glasses: zeroUV  | Belt: Vintage | Scarf: Local Artist

The secret to a casually coherent look is often using tiny elements of continuity all through your outfit, be that a certain color or print or texture. I'm not saying that you should match your shoes and bag and belt (though you certainly can, if that's your style) – but introducing some through-lines in your outfit will help it come together. Case in point: the various pops of red throughout my outfit. If my scarf were all-red, and I'd worn red shoes or a red bag, it would absolutely have been overkill, but just a little bit adds interest to a neutral, casual look.

By the way, if you're looking to add polish and sophistication to your jeans-and-tee look, try sleek leather shoes along with a printed silk scarf and luxurious fabrics like faux-fur, suede, or velvet. Chic sunglasses, chunky jewelry, or a bold lipstick also help.

2 comments :

  1. Well, You are beautiful in jeans also. It;s credit goes to your Photographer Aiden Cleland-Hura. All the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, he's a wonderful photographer – and contractually obliged as my little brother to help me out :)

      Delete