Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Retro Snow Day

4.2.17

Personal Style: Retro Snow Day


Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SECHELT, BC
   
 
Not the best outfit to take on the snow – but awfully cute nonetheless. Also, snow!

I was so happy with my cute, retro-with-a-modern-twist outfit yesterday – until it started to snow. And snow... So I ended up stuck in town with no way of getting home, with my duffel bag of  costumes for the musical, for which rehearsal was cancelled because of the weather. And, of course, an outfit not meant for trudging around in the snow (at least I had my cozy faux-fur coat!). So I did the only logical thing – a photoshoot! (Don't judge me too harshly – snow is a rarity here so I always take advantage of photographing it whenever I can.)

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic

Polka dots and faux fur in the snow – there is nothing more fun than a snowy photoshoot! | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Aiden Cleland-Hura | Dress: Joe Fresh (Thrifted) | Coat: Thrifted | Jacket: Old Navy (Thrifted) - similar here | Shoes: Thrifted | Belt: Secondhand | Earrings: Tomas 

Polka dots tend to have an inherently retro feel, especially with a fluted hem and Mary Jane pumps. Paired with a cropped jacket, a dress like this instantly gives you an hourglass shape, even if you're straight as a ruler (like me). Denim and polka dots, together with the youthful shoes, are very playful and casual but still ladylike. I popped my collar to balance out the higher neckline of this dress and added a belt to define my waist. I made sure to keep my accessories minimal to let the polka dots shine, and I matched the silver of my shoe buckles with my belt buckle and earrings. It's a great outfit for when you want something pretty simple but not boring, and it's very easy to vary based on mood or situation with a different jacket or new accessories.

By the way, this outfit also looks really fabulous with cat-eye sunglasses.

2 comments :