Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Spring Spots (From The Archives)

13.4.17

Personal Style: Spring Spots (From The Archives)


From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
An unpublished series of outfit photographs from last summer that is, in spring, relevant again.

I never published these photos. I remember styling, finding a location, doing my makeup, and shooting the images last September, but somehow (probably a distraction from some more important assignment) they never made it to "print," in a sense. (You can tell it's an old shoot because I still had long enough hair to wear a chignon here.) When going through my photographs from Copenhagen and simultaneously organizing my library, I rediscovered this shoot and thought, September and April have similar weather, and this feels like a spring outfit. 

I also have had quite a bit going on outside of my blog so I haven't had a chance to really plan any shoots, so everything lately has been travel outfits and travel posts that are taken when out and about – just my regular outfits of that day. So, to celebrate a season of long-sleeved summer dresses and a chance to wear my vintage sunglasses without being called foolish, here is my black-and-white outfit from last September.

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic

From the NSOC archives (previously unpublished), a transition-weather outfit that is chic, classy, and fun. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by Annika Cleland-Hura | Dress: Joe Fresh (Thrifted) | Shoes: Thrifted | Sunglasses: Vintage | Watch: Disney | Bag: LeSportsac | Earrings: Self-Made | Belt: Secondhand
  
There's nothing exciting, initially, about the classic combination of black and white with a touch of red. But it's a base that can be built upon with mixed prints, textures, eclectic jewelry, and vintage accessories. It feels very sophisticated and chic in any context. Here, in any other color palette, my outfit would likely be overkill: mismatched earrings, a kitschy watch, multiple rings, retro glasses, little bows, and two printed pieces. But the monochrome grounds the look, and harmonizes it.

I love the look of wearing multiple gradations of a certain pattern or print; in this case, the pin-dot bag and polka-dot dress. It creates a sense of continuity and deliberation and it's also very fun. This dress is my absolute favorite day dress, at least at the moment, because it's a grab-and-go kind of piece; it's very flattering, with its loose silhouette cinched only at the wrists and waist; it's easy to style, and is very versatile; and it has a retro-but-modern feel that is very true to my style. I don't know if I would recommend to you this exact dress (if you can even find it anywhere) but certainly, a printed, just-above-the-knee dress with sleeves is something any woman with classic style should include in her wardrobe. Bonus points for the flounced hem, because it adds more dimension and interest.

I will be posting on NSOCEnRoute a LOT in the coming months (no spoilers, but it's going to be amazing!) and I'll also try to do as many outfit posts and articles as I can. At the very least, I am posting on Instagram a lot. Let me know it there's anything in particular you want to see and I will try my hardest to provide.

Bisous, mes chéries!

No comments :

Post a Comment