Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Basic, Chic, & Travel-Friendly

31.5.17

Personal Style: Basic, Chic, & Travel-Friendly


A simple but chic outfit formula perfect for travel that is both super flattering and easy to accessorize. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: GRONAU, GERMANY
   
 
A comfortable, simple, and easy-to-accessorize outfit perfect for many occasions.

Now that I've been traveling for more than two months out of the same single suitcase, I'm getting to the point (which always comes about on these long trips) where I just about hate everything in my capsule closet. It's not because of bad packing or because the clothing is actually a problem – it's what I'll call wardrobe ennui. When I'm traveling, I bring along the sensible trousers, the grey sweaters, and the black boots that go with everything, but I miss the spiked heels and fuzzy green hats that I have to leave at home.

So, I've developed a system that helps a little. I have this basic wardrobe formula that is endlessly customizable in terms of pants, jackets, shoes, and accessories. It's flattering, comfortable, and easy to dress up or down. And here it is:

Cropped Jacket + Trousers + Any Shoes + Slim-Fitting Top

In this outfit, that is a cropped denim jacket, cuffed and buttoned partway, with cuffed, baggy trousers, a black tank top, and black ballet flats. Yesterday, I wore this same outfit but with a slim-fitting half-sleeve tee, black ankle boots, and the same pants but uncuffed. I also added a dark-wash denim trench coat and wool bowler, and the effect was a modern-day London secret-agent on the way to a Burberry show, probably with hallucinogenic lipstick hidden in some pocket.

A simple but chic outfit formula perfect for travel that is both super flattering and easy to accessorize. | Nothing Short Of Chic

A simple but chic outfit formula perfect for travel that is both super flattering and easy to accessorize. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by DJ Cleland-Hura | Jacket: Old Navy (Thrifted) | Pants: Worthington (Thrifted) | Shoes: Thrifted | Top: Body Bleu (Secondhand) | Sunglasses: zeroUV | Earrings: Thrifted | Scarf: Gudrun Bauer 

The trick I have to make the most of my suitcase wardrobe is to pack as many accessories as possible – funky sunglasses, statement earrings, vintage scarves, etc. – and wear the same outfit with different toppings, so to speak, many times over without the outfit becoming stale. Here, that basic ensemble is made much more interesting and personalized with the addition of a hand-painted silk scarf, my favorite retro sunglasses, and chic thrifted earrings.

By the way – these pants are not the most flattering, but they are so comfortable, which is a must when traveling. If you have pants like this, I recommend two ways of styling them to make them a bit less shapeless: one, you can cuff them like I did to expose the ankle; or two, you can wear them long but with a pair of heeled ankle boots that scrunch them up a bit and elongate the leg.

In fact, if you want to get a sense of just how often I wear this outfit formula, here are not one but two more posts that are based on this look. I also just wear these pants all the time.

So, the moral of this post: you can pack the most boring, basic, yawn-inducing capsule wardrobe you like – just bring loads of accessories so you don't fall asleep when getting dressed.

That being said, I go home in a week, and I'm getting really excited!

No comments :

Post a Comment