Nothing Short of Chic: Personal Style: Black, Brown, & Navy (From The Archives)

28.7.17

Personal Style: Black, Brown, & Navy (From The Archives)

Black, brown, and navy combine deliciously to create a fun, preppy, classic-with-a-twist outfit with layers for any occasion. | Nothing Short Of Chic
 
 LOCATION: SUNSHINE COAST, BC
   
 
A layered but breezy look that's both professional and casual.

You can always tell when an outfit post of mine is from the archives – if my hair is long enough to tie back, you know it's an old set of photos. Case in point: this layered outfit, from autumn of 2015, where I had a lob and eyebrows of significantly lower quality. Although it's a triple-layer look, each piece is thin and light (and you could easily remove one or both of the topmost layers if venturing into an extremely warm setting). Also, buildings will often overcompensate for the heat by putting the air conditioning on full blast, freezing its occupants, so if you have a couple extra layers to wear inside you'll probably be grateful.

People often say that you can't mix black and brown, or black and navy, and for goodness' sakes don't combine all three! Well, phooey to that, I say. I did just that and I don't think it looks bad at all. The trick is to keep the lines simple – but you can always mix in lace, bright green stripes, and a multicolor chevron tote to keep things interesting! Keep scrolling for garment credits and a few other angles.

Black, brown, and navy combine deliciously to create a fun, preppy, classic-with-a-twist outfit with layers for any occasion. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Black, brown, and navy combine deliciously to create a fun, preppy, classic-with-a-twist outfit with layers for any occasion. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Black, brown, and navy combine deliciously to create a fun, preppy, classic-with-a-twist outfit with layers for any occasion. | Nothing Short Of Chic

Black, brown, and navy combine deliciously to create a fun, preppy, classic-with-a-twist outfit with layers for any occasion. | Nothing Short Of Chic
Photography by DJ Cleland-Hura | Polo: Ralph Lauren | Blouse: Thrifted | Skirt: Thrifted | Shoes: Naturalizer (Thrifted) | Tote: Secondhand | Belt: Secondhand 

This was just a regular outfit I wore on a regular day that I was particularly fond of so I forced my father to photograph it for me. I then promptly forgot about it until now, two years later, when I rediscovered it while searching from a different photograph. The interesting thing is, although my style evolves constantly, I still really connect to the person this outfit projects, and I think it's still a relevant look. Certainly I might still wear it. And I am growing out my hair again, after all.

Bisous,

2 comments :